SUMMER, AFTER SCHOOL, SATURDAY, & HOLIDAY BREAK STEM PROGRAMS – It is anticipated that all services will be FREE of charge. When space is limited, enrollment will be limited to ten (10) traditionally under-served students and their parents and five educators per session.
- Upon request, Changing Expectations will provide Afterschool Coding Classes, Spring Break Coding Camps, and Summer Coding Camps on site at schools using the Code.org computer science fundamentals program. Plus, the Changing Expectations coding programs add hands-on Arduino coding and DASH & DOT robotics! The new Code.org computer coding curriculum allows even the youngest students to explore the limitless world of computing. The courses blend online, self-guided and self-paced tutorials with “unplugged” activities that require no computer at all. By the end of each course, students can create interactive games or stories that they can share with anyone. Computer science is a foundation for every student. That’s why we’re introducing students to these critical 21st century skills. A minimum of 10 confirmed students are needed for the class to make. Payment for the afterschool coding classes may be made ONLY by credit card at http://changeexpectations.org/groups-we-serve/ Payment for the Summer Coding Camps may be made at http://changeexpectations.org/stem-camps/
- PAST PROGRAMS AND ACTIVITIES
- University of Texas-Austin College of Natural Sciences and Google Presentations for Students, Parents, and Educators, 2010-2012, National Lab Day Initiative
- University of Texas-Austin and Pickle Research Campus visits for Students, Parents, and Educators, April 9, 2012
- University of Texas-Austin campus visits for Students, Parents, and Educators: Edison Lecture series on Robotics 2/22/12, Wouldn’t it be COOL If project (Garcia)
- 2012 STEM Tour: Google, Applied Materials, 3M, National Instruments, City of Austin Water Facilities, Skyport/Redbird Flight Simulators, Microsoft Store, DELL, Bioware Game Design, and Samsung Visits and Presentations, Summer 2012
- STEM Robotics Academy for Students, Parents, and Educators: FTC Robotics Team Started 1/14/12 – FTC Qualifying Event 2/18/12 (Austin Can Academies)
- Saturday STEM Aerospace Engineering Academy for Students, Parents, and Educators February 25, 2012 – May 26, 2012 (LBJ and Garcia)
- STEM Summer 2012 Academy: Mon-Fri FLL/FTC Robotics, Game Design, Future City Engineering, and RWDC Aerospace Engineering June 11 – 29, 2012, July 9 – 27, 2012
- Microsoft Store Partner of the Month, August 2012
- STEM Education Alliance Planning Meeting, October 15, 2011
- STEM Innovation Clubs, Afterschool and Saturdays, Austin ISD and Pflugerville ISD, October 2012 – April 2013
- An updated one-page flyer may be downloaded here: Changing Expectations Corp one-pager 11-11-16
STEM Summer 2012 Academy: OPEN registration for African-American, Hispanic, and other traditionally underserved students throughout Central Texas began May 7, 2012. Download the registration form and summer STEM program schedule. The STEM program flyer is also available for download–please share it with students, parents, and educators throughout Central Texas!
PLANNED AFTER-SCHOOL, SATURDAY, HOLIDAY BREAK ACTIVITIES:
- STEM research discussions, education/career panels, and hands-on experiences
- Afterschool STEM Clubs & Saturday STEM Tours
- Saturday STEM Sessions, 3 hours in length, 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM, with lunch to go
- Introduction by presenters to STEM topic/research and career preparation and career options by whole group discussion.
- Explanation of the STEM equipment/technology brought to share.
- Hands-on experience with equipment/technology, allowing students, parents, and teachers to work in groups.
- Provide STEM related prizes for students who share something about their group work.
- Provide students/teachers with an explanation of written instructions and STEM materials for a take-home project and presenter contact info for student and teacher follow-up questions.
- Provide requirements for submitting STEM products for financial stipend and resources.
- Provide STEM related prizes for the rest of the students.
Changing Expectations Corp will support STEM teaching and learning experiences for African American and Hispanic middle and high school students and their teachers, parents. The 2012-2013 STEM Innovation Clubs will provide tutoring and engaging activities designed to inspire students’ interest in STEM topics and careers. The UT-Austin National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) Chapter partners with Changing Expectations to assist the STEM Club members with tutoring in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics academic fields and with coaching on the FLL and FTC robotics projects. National Instruments engineers also mentor the robotics teams, and the Microsoft Store hosts the Saturday robot build sessions.
Changing Expectations Corp is a Texas Education Agency (TEA) approved Continuing Professional Education (CPE) provider for Texas educators. The Continuing Professional Education Provider number (CPE#) for Changing Expectations Corp is 501921. For past CPE opportunities for Texas educators, download these forms.
Available for Download:
- LBJ Oct 15 Flyer Back
- Garcia Conference STEM Flyer 2
- DOBIE CallingALLStudentsforaSTEMSession-DobieMS
- CPE Request Form
- STEM Webinar 1
- STEM Webinar 2
- STEM Presentation
- What We Do (print brochure)
- RWDC Meeting Two Agenda
- RWDC Texas